4.1% increase in fruit and vegetables

Fruit and vegetable sales grew by 4.1% in 2016, compared to the previous year.

A volume of 1,105,692 tonnes marketed consolidates the positive trend of recent years. The average price has also increased by 5.3% and has reached 0.92 euros per kilo. These figures are mainly due to the good stone fruit campaign (peaches, nectarines and cherries) and to the recovery in the consumption of exotic produce.

Fruit

During this financial year, 507,796 tonnes of fruit have been sold at an average price of 1.13 €/kg. This indicates a 4.2% increase in the marketed volume, whilst the average price remains similar to 2015 levels and has only experienced a slight rise of 0.9%.

Vegetables

The behaviour of vegetables also confirms the positive trend of recent years, in spite of the fact that its growth is more moderate. The marketed volume was 571,796 tonnes at an average price of 0.62€/kg, which, compared to the previous year, means an increase of 1.8% and 3.3%, respectively.

Origins of the produce

Spanish produce continues to dominate the market, representing 74.7% of the total marketed produce, whilst the remaining 25.3% are made up of imported fruit and vegetables. In this order, the main suppliers are as follows: Catalonia, the Valencian Community, Andalusia, France, and Murcia.

YOU COULD ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
  • ANECOOP: ‘El agua es vida’

  • Last news

    Newsletter Fruittoday

    Every Wednesday in your email Inbox, get the highlights of the horticultural week